Tuesday 6 August 2013

Player's Perspective: SabaSaba

From one side of the story, via an Eastern European combo class, we move onto something different. Completely the opposite, infact. A Nordic pick class. Finland are a country where some of the best TF2 players are born and raised, with the current Highlander team varying from high-level 6v6 and Highlander players, as well as well-known and not so well-known players. I managed to catch up with SabaSaba, the deputy leader for Finland.


TJB:  Hello there, SabaSaba! Tell us a little bit about yourself.

SabaSaba: Hello. I'm 25 years old. I study International Business in Tampere University of Applied Sciences.I started playing TF2 for the Highlander Community Challenge and formed colony with other Rocket Blast pubbers. People mostly know me because of my spying skills and that's because it's the only class I play on competitive level.

TJB: Finland are a country that have had great success in the past with Highlander and 6v6 players. Do you think the culmination of the best from Finland could go all the way?

SabaSaba: Of course. And what kind of a co-leader I would be if I did not believe in my team. Finland has an amazing roster of good TF2 players and when you think about us being a country of 5.2 million people, it's just amazing.  In HL NC we have good players and subs for every class. And a lot of the great 6v6 don't even care about HL. Even without those, Finland never runs out of players. I must also say that Yonus is the real leader of the national team. I'm just his helping right hand. Submitting results and helping when needed. Yonus arranges the matches and gathered the team together so he deserves the applauses.

TJB: Interesting. So if you were to pick out, say, 2 players who you could rely on for consistency, who would they be?

SabaSaba:  Well, anybody at the moment. But maybe Yonus and Zoob, because I have played with them for the past 3 years. I know what they think, how they think and what their worst fears are. I have even drunk beer with them. But picking 2 from this TEAM is hard, as Finland is really a team, not a group of players. Also when I said Zoob and Yonus, it looks like I hate Nappr :D. I have also played with him for 3 years.

TJB: With the players from Colony spreading across the classes well, ie Yonus and Nappr being near the main combo, and yourself and Zoob on the flanks, do you think this helps the communication between your players?

SabaSaba:  I don't think it affects much. We haven't had much problems with communication. Except talking in Finnish, I have to get used to that. Because the Finglish we speak in TF2 is just butchering our unique language.

TJB: After winning against Russia in the last 16, does this give you more confidence? If so why?

SabaSaba: First of all, doing a 3 min run on Barnblitz was just amazing - it has to give confidence.  Also we did not start crapping into our pants when Russia pushed hard; held it together and continued doing what we had planned. We have also played promising PCWS against Poland, France and SNSD to name a few. These matches have shown we are capable of doing everything on a good day. I also like having excellent snipers. Whether it's Rouhe or Rake, the enemy sniper is going to have a busy day.

TJB: If you were to name a team who you were most scared of right now, who would it be?

SabaSaba: Poland, because we did not beat them in PCW. Played a draw and all rounds were very close.

TJB: Do you think the map pool is optimised for Highlander play?

SabaSaba: I'm fine with it. I love having Steel there, even if most 6v6 players hate it. Barnblitz last is still terrible, but otherwise I like the map. Gully is a fine choice if there has to be one 5cp  map. I'm happy we do not play Granary this time, because it's too narrow for highlander.

TJB: Speaking of maps, what do you think is the Finns' best map type?

SabaSaba: Payload, because our players have most experience on it (colony and SDW players for example)

TJB: Final question: what makes the Highlander Nations Cup so special to watch, and why?

SabaSaba: To watch...hmm. I usually get my dose of TF2 just by playing. Anyway, it is interesting to see how players from the same team face each other representing their home countries.

TJB: Interesting views and opinions. Thank you for your time!


























No comments:

Post a Comment